Rogers Canada using 7.0.0.0/8 for internal address space

Cameron Byrne cb.list6 at gmail.com
Tue May 24 16:07:21 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 8:54 AM, Paul Graydon <paul at paulgraydon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 5/24/2011 4:17 AM, Byron L. Hicks wrote:
>>
>> On 5/24/2011 9:13 AM, Leigh Porter wrote:
>>
>>> So you said NO, and what did they do about it ?
>>
>> It forced them to put in their own ISDN router, and they put static
>> routes on the point of sale terminals that pointed the "borrowed" IP
>> space to the ISDN router.  There was no way I was going to put this in
>> the routing tables of my campus routers.
>>
> So rather than fix the real problem, they added an additional bodge?  Why am
> I not surprised?

There is no fixing the lack of IPv4, just more band-aids.  IPv4 has
been scarce for the last 10 years that i have been in this industry.
I remember one of my first jobs was assigning IP addresses to
customers at an ISP .... and people on the other end of the phone
throwing chairs in anger because they can't launch their web site
until i received their detailed justification for more ipv4 addresses.
 That was 10 years ago.

Yes, the issue before was people being lazy and not wanting to do the
paper work or working the system (because IPv4 was scarce then too).
Now, there is legitimately not enough space for folks to deploy IPv4
in fast growing edges of the network like M2M (this includes point of
sale), mobile, cloud, and many other places.... and there is no time
to get in thumb wrestling wars with ARIN over what is used where (boss
wants it done yesterday)

It will get worse before it gets better.

Cameron