NANOG transition update

Steven Feldman feldman at newnog.org
Tue May 24 06:26:07 UTC 2011

A lot of progress has been made since NANOG 51, so I'd like to share
this update with the community.

* Association management contract

We recently completed our RFP and selection process, and have
contracted with Association Management Solutions (http://www.amsl.com)
to provide association management and meeting support services for
NANOG.  We are excited to be working with AMS, as they have an
excellent set of management and IT services which are very good fits
to our needs.

AMS might already be familiar to some of our community, as they have
providing IETF secretariat services for the past several years.
Representatives from AMS will be with us in Denver to observe the
conference and meet the community.

Over the next couple of months our meeting registration, membership,
mailing list and finance systems will be migrated to AMS
infrastructure.  The transition has already started, and will be
completed in time for the start of registration for the NANOG53
meeting.

We'll share more details of the transition process as they become available.

* NANOG Intellectual Property

All of the NANOG intellectual property originated by Merit Network,
including the name, domain, logos, mailing lists and archives, have
been transferred to NewNOG.  This means that we _are_ NANOG!

We expect that the interim name "NewNOG" will eventually go away.

* Non-profit status

NewNOG, Inc. has been recognized by the IRS as a 501(c)(3) charitable
organization.  (See http://www.newnog.org/docs/IRSletter.pdf for the
IRS determination letter.)  This means that individual donations might
be tax-deductible.

* Future conferences

Work continues on securing hosts and venues for future NANOG
conferences.  The current list of future events is at
http://www.nanog.org/meetings/future/, and we expect to have the
October 2012 meeting ready to announce in the next few weeks.

And if you haven't already registered, please plan to join us at
NANOG52 in Denver next month!  The Program Committee has published a
great agenda, and the hotel block is filling fast.  The hotel group
rate expires on May 29, and the conference registration fee goes up on
June 4, so please register soon!  More information is at
http://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog52/.

We welcome any questions or comments, and we'll give another update at
the community meeting in Denver.

For the board,
  Steve Feldman, chair