Rogers Canada using 7.0.0.0/8 for internal address space

Cameron Byrne cb.list6 at gmail.com
Tue May 24 02:38:01 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:

> In message <B2100B46-6D93-46A2-8746-5CFB8BE88AE9 at bogus.com>, Joel Jaeggli write
> s:
>>
>> On May 23, 2011, at 10:36 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>>
>> >=20
>> >=20
>> > Sent from my iPad
>> >=20
>> > On May 23, 2011, at 11:32, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:
>> >=20
>> transfer policy if it was the case :-).
>> use?
>> >=20
>> > More likely they are making the assumption that their private internal =
>> use of the address
>> > space won't conflict with DoD's (apparently) private internal use of =
>> the address space.
>>
>> if they're numbering cpe out of it they've also decided that breaking =
>> 6to4 is no problem either, if they aren't then hey it's just more ipv4 =
>> ugliness, and there's alot more where that came from...
>>
>> joel=
>
> and other stuff which doesn't work in a double nat environment.

This is the business reality of the IPv4-scarce era.  Diluted IPv4 is
not new to many places and will become common in many more places.
Furthermore, it is a calculated business risk.  IPv4 services
will/have become the 2nd class (NAT444...)  services as IPv6 ascends
to first class status with e2e restored and more and more services
supporting IPv6 (World IPv6 day in a little over 2 week!...).

Don't get me wrong, IPv6 has a long way to go in terms of
availability, peering, and application support.  But make no mistake,
the tide is turning.  Rogers is doing what they have to do proactively
to stay ahead of the curve of complete exhaustion.

As for 6to4, the good folks at Rogers have found a way to make it work
for you ... with yet another NAT :)

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kuarsingh-v6ops-6to4-provider-managed-tunnel-02

Cameron