Had an idea - looking for a math buff to tell me if it's possible with today's technology.

Eu-Ming Lee euming at comcast.net
Fri May 20 18:46:45 UTC 2011

To do this, you only need 2 numbers: the nth digit of pi and the number of
digits.

Simply convert your message into a single extremely long integer. Somewhere,
in the digits of pi, you will find a matching series of digits the same as
your integer!

Decompressing the number is relatively easy after some sort-of recent
advances in our understanding of pi.

Finding out what those 2 numbers are--- well, we still have a ways to go
on that.

Despite the ridiculousness of this example, it does illustrate to the
author that there are extremes of compression. The "single mathematical
formula" compression method is possible, even trivial. However, the
computation time for compression may be unreasonably large.

Here is another ridiculous way to compress data: Convert your data
into a series

of coordinates to a mandelbrot fractal set. The final picture is a
fixed size, regardless of the size of your starting data set. From that
final picture, you should be able to retrieve your original starting
data set.

Good luck!