IPv6 Conventions

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Thu May 19 07:05:43 UTC 2011

On 19 mei 2011, at 5:21, Owen DeLong wrote:

>>> 2) Are we tending to use different IPs for each service on a device?

>> No, the same Internet Protocol.

> I believe he meant different IP addresses

No, that can't be, he would have said "IP addresses".

> and I highly recommend doing so.

> If you do so, then you can move services around and name things independent of
> the actual host that they happen to be on at the moment without having to renumber
> or rename.

The DNS is already a layer of indirection so in most cases this makes things harder first (having to remember which address is on which host) so they may be easier later (not touching the DNS when services go to a new box). In my opinion, this isn't a good tradeoff most of the time. Only if you want/need addresses to be a particular way (like short for DNS servers) that's helpful.

I was reluctant to do stateless autoconfig for servers at first but it's really rock solid, as long as you're reasonably sure no rogue router advertisements will show up on the subnet in question there's no reason to avoid it.