Netflix Is Eating Up More Of North America's Bandwidth Than Any Other Company

Holmes,David A dholmes at mwdh2o.com
Wed May 18 20:01:01 UTC 2011

I think this shows the need for an Internet-wide multicast implementation. Although I can recall working on a product that delivered satellite multicast streams (with each multicast group corresponding to individual TV stations) to telco CO's. This enabled the telco to implement multicast at the edge of their networks, where user broadband clients would issue multicast joins only as far as the CO. If I recall this was implemented with the old Cincinnati Bell telco. I admit there are a lot of CO's and cable head-ends though for this solution to scale.