Netflix Is Eating Up More Of North America's Bandwidth Than Any Other Company

Landon Stewart lstewart at superb.net
Wed May 18 19:56:54 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 12:46 PM, Michael Holstein <
michael.holstein at csuohio.edu> wrote:

> > http://e.businessinsider.com/public/184962
> >

> Somebody should invent a a way to stream groups of shows simultaneously
> and just arrange for people to watch the desired stream at a particular
> time. Heck, maybe even do it wireless.
>
> problem solved, right?

There was a lengthy discussion about that on NANOG a week or so ago.  I
don't claim to understand all facets of multicast but it could be a sort of
way to operate "tv station" type scheduled programming for streaming media.
There's no way to pause, rewind or otherwise seek multicasted media though.
It would be going backwards in terms of what consumers want these days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multicast
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbone

It seems to me that every provider these days is using a year 2K business
model with 2011 bandwidth requirements and then complaining that consumers
are transferring too much data.

--
Landon Stewart <LStewart at SUPERB.NET>
SuperbHosting.Net by Superb Internet Corp.