IPv6 Conventions

Cameron Byrne cb.list6 at gmail.com
Wed May 18 15:21:06 UTC 2011

On May 18, 2011 8:07 AM, "Iljitsch van Beijnum" <iljitsch at muada.com> wrote:

> On 18 mei 2011, at 16:44, Todd Snyder wrote:
>
> > 1) Is there a general convention about addresses for DNS servers? NTP
> > servers? dhcp servers?
>
> There are people who do stuff like blah::53 for DNS, or blah:193:77:81:20
for a machine that has IPv4 address 193.177.81.20.

> For the DNS, I always recommend using a separate /64 for each one, as that
way you can move them to another location without having to renumber, and
make the addresses short, so a ::1 address or something, because those are
the IPv6 addresses that you end up typing a lot.

> For all the other stuff, just use stateless autoconfig or start from ::1
when configuring things manually although there is also a little value in
putting some of the IPv4 address in there. Note that 2001:db8::10.0.0.1 is a
valid IPv6 address. Unfortunately when you see it copied back to you it
shows up as 2001:db8::a00:1 which is less helpful.

> > 2) Are we tending to use different IPs for each service on a device?
>
> No, the same Internet Protocol.
>
> > Finally, what tools do people find themselves using to manage IPv6 and
> > addressing?
>
> Stateless autoconfig for hosts, EUI-64 addressing for routers, VLAN ID in
the subnet bits. That makes life simple. Simple be good.

You may want to use some randomness to limit address scanning.  Ymmv on how
well this works or applies, I do it.

Cb