user-relative names - was:[Re: Yahoo and IPv6]

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed May 18 03:37:21 UTC 2011

On Tue, 17 May 2011 20:22:23 PDT, Joel Jaeggli said:
> On May 17, 2011, at 7:51 PM, Scott Weeks wrote:
> > Only if you design your network that way.  EUI-64 isn't required.
> don't much matter, if you move around you're going get them a lot.

Of course, if you're moving around and getting EUI-64 addresses via SLAAC, you
can almost certainly use RFC4941 privacy addresses (instead of/in addition to)
your MAC-address based address.

Unless you end up behind a fascist firewall that actually checks that the
EUI-64 half of the SLAAC address actually matches your MAC address - but we all
know that firewalls are weak at IPv6 support, so probably nobody's actually
doing that checking. :)