Yahoo and IPv6

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Tue May 17 15:55:18 UTC 2011

On 5/17/2011 5:25 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> My point was that at least in IPv6, you can reach your boxes whereas with
> IPv4, you couldn't reach them at all (unless you used a rendezvous service
> and preconfigured stuff).

Actually almost everyone will *still* need a rendezvous service as even
if there isn't NAT66 (which I strongly suspect there will be, as nobody
has magically solved the rest of the renumbering problems) there will
still be default firewall filters that the average end-user won't know
how or why to change (and in some cases won't even have access to the CPE).

For the former we can only hope that NAT66 box builders can get guidance
from IETF rather than having IETF stick its collective head in the
sand... for the latter the firewall traversal has a chance of being more
reliable than having to traversal both filtering and address translation.

Matthew Kaufman