Yahoo and IPv6

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Tue May 17 12:56:37 UTC 2011

> Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 11:07:17 +0200
> From: Mans Nilsson <mansaxel at besserwisser.org>
>
> > > ... It's not like you can even reach anything at home now, let alone
> > > reach it by name.
> >
> > that must and will change.  let's be the generation who makes it possible.
>
> I'd like to respond to this by stating that I support this fully, but
> I'm busy making sure I can reach my machines at home from the IPv6
> Internet. By name. ;-)

:-).

to be clear, the old pre-web T1 era internet did not have much content
but what content there was, was not lopsided.  other than slip and ppp
there weren't a lot of networks one would call "access" and a smaller
number of networks one would call "content".  i am not wishing for that,
i like the web, i like content, i know there will be specialized networks
for access and content.  but i also think (as jim gettys does) that we
ought to be able to get useful work done without being able to reach the
whole internet all the time.  that's going to mean being able to reach
other mostly-access networks in our same neighborhoods and multitenant
buildings and towns and cities, directly, and by name.  it does not mean
being able to start facebook 2.0 out of somebody's basement, but it does
mean being able to run a personal smtp or web server in one's basement
and have it mostly work for the whole internet and work best for accessors
who are close by and still work even when the "upstream" path for the
neighborhood is down.