Yahoo and IPv6

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue May 17 12:25:29 UTC 2011

On May 17, 2011, at 2:07 AM, Mans Nilsson wrote:

> Subject: Re: Yahoo and IPv6 Date: Tue, May 17, 2011 at 04:22:54AM +0000 Quoting Paul Vixie (vixie at isc.org):
>>> From: Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com>
>>> Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 16:12:27 -0700
>>>
>>> ... It's not like you can even reach anything at home now, let alone
>>> reach it by name.
>>
>> that must and will change.  let's be the generation who makes it possible.
>
> I'd like to respond to this by stating that I support this fully, but
> I'm busy making sure I can reach my machines at home from the IPv6
> Internet. By name. ;-)

I think my statement has been taken out of context and misunderstood.

I was responding to a claim that having to understand DNS to reach your
IPv6 boxes by name was somehow a step backwards from IPv4.

My point was that at least in IPv6, you can reach your boxes whereas with
IPv4, you couldn't reach them at all (unless you used a rendezvous service
and preconfigured stuff).

To me, pre-configuring DNS through the web interface for one of the free
DNS services with the IPv6 address is not any more difficult than setting
up one of the rendezvous services (most of which you have to pay for
if you want any real utility).

To my mind, IPv6 is a giant leap forward here, not a step backwards.
At least you can reach your stuff, even if the administration of the naming
process isn't 100% automated and perfect just yet.

Owen