Backbone operators see IPv6 connectivity demand up, but little traffic

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun May 15 08:29:13 UTC 2011

http://searchtelecom.techtarget.com/news/2240035722/Backbone-operators-see-IPv6-connectivity-demand-up-but-little-traffic

Backbone operators see IPv6 connectivity demand up, but little traffic

Internet backbone and wholesale carriers are anecdotally reporting a rapid
rise in demand from their service provider customers for IPv6 connectivity—an
apparent prelude to the full-scale arrival of the IPv6 Internet as World IPv6
Day looms on the horizon.

We've seen a tremendous increase in IPv6 traffic. Granted, though, it still
comes nowhere near our traffic on v4.

Reid Fishler, director, Hurricane Electric

Backbone operators, however, acknowledge that the amount of IPv6 traffic
still pales in comparison to that of its predecessor, IPv4, and that it's
still too early to tell how quickly it will grow.

Hurricane Electric, which claims to operate the world's largest IPv6-native
Internet backbone, has established three dual-stack (both IPv4 and IPv6)
points of presence (POPs) at carrier hotels since March. Citing growing
demand from operators for European peering points with IPv6 Internet
connectivity, the wholesale provider connected its backbone to the Equinix
Paris Exchange last week.

When Hurricane Electric offered native dual-stack services to carriers two
years ago, few accepted them, according to Reid Fishler, director of carrier
sales and purchasing at Hurricane Electric. Customers were confused or
disinterested, but now "the vast majority" of service providers that are
buying wholesale access at these Internet peering points are opting for
dual-stack—and in rare cases, IPv6-only connections, he said.

"We've seen a tremendous increase in IPv6 traffic. Granted, though, it still
comes nowhere near our traffic on v4," Fishler said. "But look at any one of
these [Internet] exchange fabrics and compare v6 traffic to v4 traffic. Up
until a year ago, you couldn't even rate [the amount of IPv6 traffic], and
now you're starting to see it [on the Internet], and you definitely see a lot
of the traffic coming in from China and Asia as v6 traffic now."

Hurricane Electric also established dual-stack POPs in Internet exchange
point Telehouse Paris Voltaire and VegasNAP in Las Vegas in March. Late last
year, demand for IPv6 Internet connectivity prompted Hurricane Electric's POP
expansions into peering points Comfluent, in Denver; Equinix Singapore
Exchange; and the Northwest Access Exchange in Portland, Ore.  More on IPv6
connectivity

Get a telecom network architect's view on how to convert IPv4 to IPv6.

Learn why your telecom IPv6 transition plan must include more than upgrading
your routers.

Find out how to make the IPv4 to IPv6 transition work.

If you can get your kids to eat their veggies, you can sell enterprises on
IPv6 migration plans.

Shawn Morris, manager of IP development at NTT America, said IPv6 Internet
traffic is still "a tiny fraction" of all Internet traffic, but NTT America
has seen a steady increase of demand for and questions about IPv6
connectivity from its carrier customers over the past few years. A large
portion of the demand is coming from service providers in Latin America,
which have been slower to adopt IPv6 than carriers in other regions, Morris
said.

Demand for dual-stack peering at public Internet exchanges and at private
peering points has also increased, said Morris, who oversees network
architecture, hardware and software.

"I wouldn't say it's at parity with IPv6, but it's definitely trending in
that direction," he said. "That's a big change. In ‘03 and ‘04, we went
native [with IPv6 on our backbone] and were ready to peer with any of our
peers, but it took a good six to seven years before we really saw an increase
in demand."

More requests for IPv6 connectivity, but traffic barely materializing

NTT America could not provide any data regarding IPv6 Internet traffic
levels. But in its search for a new network monitoring platform, one of its
requirements was more granular visibility into levels of IPv4 and IPv6
traffic, Morris said.

"We don't have any hard statistics ... but we definitely keep seeing more
customers adding v6 onto their connections and an increase in the v6 routing
table," he said. "But we're also expecting, to be honest, quite a bit of
growth in the IPv4 routing table as people start to split up the address
space in the run-out. So, we're planning for a large amount of growth in both
tables."

Order requests for IPv6 connectivity have doubled every year for the past
three years at Global Crossing, according to Anthony Christie, the backbone
operator's chief technical and information officer. But that hasn't
translated yet into any significant amount of IPv6 Internet traffic on Global
Crossing's network, he said.

"The traffic that we're seeing would need to increase 100 times the current
levels in order for it to be a meaningful percentage in total traffic,"
Christie said. "The content, addresses and infrastructure associated with
[IPv4] is not yet exhausted, so you wouldn't necessarily expect a switch to
flick because someone has decided to order a v6 port on our network."

The American Registry of Internet Numbers (ARIN)—the Regional Internet
Registry (RIR) for the United States, Canada and much of the Caribbean—has
seen similar rates of growth in requests for IPv6 address space blocs,
according to John Curran, president and CEO of ARIN. In 2008, ARIN received
250 requests for IPv6 address blocs from ISPs and hosting providers; in 2009,
that rose to just above 400. Last year, ARIN received 700 requests. Within
the first quarter of 2011, it has received 500 requests for IPv6 address
blocs and expects that to total 1,500 by the end of the year, Curran said.

"We've seen, for the last three years, the requests for IPv6 address space
double," Curran said. "But that may not result in traffic."

Internet backbone provider Level 3 Communications, which recently announced
its intention to buy Global Crossing, has seen similar IPv6 connectivity and
traffic trends.

"Level 3 has witnessed growth in the number of IPv6 routes that are being
advertised, but IPv6 routes still account for a very small portion of all
Internet routes," said Mark Taylor, vice president of content and media at
Level 3. "Likewise, even as IPv6 Internet traffic is on the rise, it is still
small relative to the growth in address announcements."

What will spur growth of the IPv6 Internet?

Backbone operators don't doubt that the IPv6 Internet will grow—but how
rapidly or under what conditions is anyone's guess.

Hurricane Electric's Fishler said he expects rapid growth will be spurred by
consumer demand for a "killer application" that only functions on the IPv6
Internet.

"If some large Internet-addressable service ... comes out and it needs to
have 10,000 servers or whatever it needs, that next thing is going to
[require] v6," he said. "That next product, whatever it'll be, will be IPv6
primarily and IPv4 secondarily ... and that's when we're going to see IPv6
take off, and that's when customers and service providers are going to be
taken aback [if they can't] do it natively."

Morris, of NTT America, didn't rule out the IPv6 killer app theory but
predicted more conservative, steady growth of the IPv6 Internet.

"We're going to see a more gradual increase in IPv6 traffic as time goes on,
unless something comes along that's a killer app that's only available on
IPv6," he said. "I honestly don't know what that would be ... but something
like that might spurn a really quick uptake in IPv6. But what I think we're
going to see is more and more organic growth."