coprorations using BGP for advertising prefixes in mid-1990s

Jessica Yu jyy_99 at yahoo.com
Fri May 13 21:37:21 UTC 2011

>Does no one remember EGP?

Yes, I remember EGP every well.  When we built the NSFNET T1 backbone in 1987, EGP was the only available routing protocol for exterior routing.  We deployed it and used EGP to exchange routing information with the connected regional networks.  Initially, it worked fine but then when the routing table and traffic grew, we observed that every 3 minutes, the network performance got a hit.  After some investigation, we discovered that it was due to the fact that EGP did routing updates every 3 minutes by flooding the whole routing table to the peer and the process overwhelmed router processor. At that time, the processor on the router did both routing and forwarding.

Fortunately, Yakov of IBM, Kirk from Cisco and we Merit were working on the development and testing of BGP, which was intended to replace EGP.  BGP does incremental routing updates i.e. it sends its peer the delta whenever routing topology changes rather than flooding its peer with the whole routing table every 3 minutes.  It saved a lot of processing power.  In addition, it reduces routing convergence time since BGP sends its neighbors the updates whenever changes occurs. In the case of EGP, it may take as long as close to 3 minutes after a route change before the routing table got updated.  In addition, BGP has loop detection capability due to its inclusion of AS path information.  These were the technical reasons to replace EGP with BGP at the time.

We worked with regional network reps and started to convert NSFNET to regional peers from EGP to BGP in early 1990s. I also created the BGP Deployment Work Group at IETF to push the deployment of BGP in the whole Internet.

cheers!

--Jessica