Network Equipment Discussion (HP and L2/10G)

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Fri May 13 15:14:14 UTC 2011

Go figure, an actual thread about networking equipment on NANOG. :)

So reading Cisco's announcement, I go look at HP's higher end switching/routing line and I see some pretty beefy looking gear. A12500 and others. Does anyone have any experience with this thing -- is it white labeled from someone else?

Second question -- Does anyone know of a Cascade-style box (old days) for 10G aggregation? What I mean is I need about a number of ports of 10G (pluggable *colored* optics) with just normal L2 stuff (VLANs/dot1q) and I'd like to LACP/Port-channel that back to a pair of 10G ports on a router. The wrinkle here is that I can't use a normal enterprise 10G switch because of the need for DWDM optics (ideally 80km style). For this application, buffers and such are not an issue. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

DJ