coprorations using BGP for advertising prefixes in mid-1990s

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu May 12 20:21:59 UTC 2011

On Thu, 12 May 2011 14:53:53 CDT, Michael Sabino said:
> If you are a big corporation, and it is 1995, how likely is it that you'll
> utilize bgp for advertising your address space to the internet?

Well, we got AS1312 sometime before 1996 (the *last changed* timestamp is
19960207), that sort of implies that 1311 other organizations were grabbing AS
numbers before that.  And since an AS number has no real use for anything other
than BGP, that implies some 1,300 organizations doing BGP in the 1995
timeframe.

Look to see who got the first 1000 or 1500 or so AS numbers, that's who was
doing BGP back then.