Yahoo and IPv6

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu May 12 17:09:46 UTC 2011

On May 12, 2011, at 9:06 AM, Scott Whyte wrote:

> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 23:10, Franck Martin <fmartin at linkedin.com> wrote:
>> I think the yahoo test should just differentiate between no IPv6 and IPv6
>> is slow (test between 3s and 10s). Like:
>>
>> We have detected that you have IPv6 and will be able to access our site on
>> IPv6 day, but your user experience may not be as good as with IPv4, you
>> may consider disabling IPv6.
>>

> Measurements during the experiment won't be directly comparable to
> those before/after, at least as far as I can see.  So they will be
> informative, but its the slope of the brokenness line before/after
> that will determine when IPv6 is not an impediment to itself.
>
> -Scott

I think it's a little more complex.

I think there are two lines. A line representing brokenness with AAAA records
enabled and a line representing brokenness without AAAA records.

The first line is trending downwards while the second line is trending upwards
and wil soon be making a rather pronounced increase in its slope.

When these two lines cross, I think it will become virtually inevitable that
those who are ready to do so will publish their AAAA records.

Owen