IPv6 foot-dragging

Martin Millnert millnert at gmail.com
Thu May 12 16:46:31 UTC 2011

George,

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 11:41 AM, George Bonser <gbonser at seven.com> wrote:
>> A lot. I see /48 breakouts from /32 PA blocks for instance, announced
>> by a
>> customer AS of the PA holder AS.
>>
>> --
>> Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se
>
> Which is kinda sad.

It's reality.

> If those customer AS are multihomed or plan to be
> multihomed, they can get their own allocation out of PI space. If they
> are not multihomed outside of the provider AS, there is no need for the
> provider to "leak" that /48 out of their AS to their peers.

In the RIPE region, being multihomed or planning to be it is not a
sufficient condition for getting a PI prefix.  And even if it was, the
hit on DFZ is the same as from getting allocation from LIR. Even if
they get their own /32, the hit would be the same (modulo individual
FIB/RIB implementations).
Consequently, there's work in progress to modernize RIPE IPv6 address policy.
http://ripe62.ripe.net/presentations/148-wg.pdf p. 19 and forward.

Cheers,
Martin