IPv6 foot-dragging

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Wed May 11 17:44:14 UTC 2011

On 11 mei 2011, at 19:32, George Bonser wrote:

>> If the results of world IPv6 day are as we expect and only 0.1 - 0.2 %
>> or less of all people have problems, I think the best way forward would
>> be to have a second world IPv6 day where we again enable IPv6 industry-
>> wide but this time we don't turn it off again.

> 0.1% of users is a HUGE number if you have 1,000,000 subscribers.  Are
> you prepared to field 1,000 helpdesk calls or lose 1,000 customers?

Apparently "we" are, at least for the former, otherwise there wouldn't be an IPv6 day.

> It isn't something you just throw out there on a whim and tell people to
> like it or lump it if there are potentially a lot of people involved.

So what's the alternative? Never change anything?

Remember, this is al extremely trivial stuff: most things won't even completely stop working. And a few mouseclicks (yes, you have to know which ones so the helpdesks better start figuring that out) and you're back to normal. Compare this to turning off analog TV transmitters that have been running for decades where people have to buy converter boxes and sometimes even install antennas on their roof to keep using the service.