Japan electrical power?

Robert Boyle robert at tellurian.com
Wed May 11 14:08:00 UTC 2011

Hello,

This is sort of off-topic, but no where near as much as half of the
topics on NANOG. It is relevant to netops for anyone who has a
presence in Japan. Does anyone on NANOG have firsthand in-depth
knowledge of the electrical system in Japan? I know voltage varies
from town to town and prefecture to prefecture. It seems most is
90V-110V. Do most homes and businesses have a single leg or do they
have 200-220V available? Are most circuit breakers 15A? Do they use
20A anywhere? What is used in commercial settings? What is the
typical service to a home? 60A, 100A, 200A? I have searched, but
haven't found enough definitive info to be useful. I am designing
some new equipment and Japan is the worst case scenario from a power
standpoint because they use such a low line voltage. If my gear works
in rocky & mountainous low-voltage Japan, it will work anywhere. Any
information or good links would be appreciated. I can't give out any
info on the new gear yet until some key IP is protected. It doesn't
compete with anything on the market today. Thanks for any help anyone
can give. Domo arigato!

-Robert

"Well done is better than well said." - Benjamin Franklin