23,000 IP addresses

Michael Painter tvhawaii at shaka.com
Wed May 11 01:53:16 UTC 2011

Deepak Jain wrote:
> For examples, see the RIAA's attempts and more recently the criminal investigations of child porn downloads from
> unsecured access
> points. From what I understand (or wildly guess) is that ISPs with remote diagnostic capabilities are being asked if
> their
> provided access point is secure or unsecure BEFORE they serve their warrants to avoid further embarrassments. [It'll
> probably
> take another 6 months and more goofs before they realize that customers are perfectly capable of poorly installing their
> own
> access points behind ISP provided gear].

Exactly...what about those who choose WEP/WPA-TKIP for their 'secured' access point?
I can just imagine being in front of a judge/jury after having been arrested for, as you say, "child porn downloads " and
listening to my law^H^H^H public defender explain the mechanisms of how the access point was 'cracked' and may have been
used by someone sitting in their car down the street.<shudder>