23,000 IP addresses

Daniel Staal DStaal at usa.net
Tue May 10 23:55:50 UTC 2011

--As of May 10, 2011 9:37:55 AM -0400, Jon Lewis is alleged to have said:

> I wonder how things go if you challenge them in court.  This is surely a
> topic for another list, but it seems to me it'd be fairly difficult to
> prove unless they downloaded part of the movie from your IP and verified
> that what they got really was a part of the movie.  If they're going
> after any IP that connected to and downloaded from an agent of the studio
> (and that's what it sounds like) who hosted the file, can they really
> expect to prosecute people for downloading something they were giving
> away?

--As for the rest, it is mine.

Typically the response (from what media coverage I've read) is that they'll
put up a token defense to see if you are really interested, and then drop
it at the first opportunity if you continue.  Keeping them in court once
they have dropped the prosecution is tricky, and they will resist that with
all available resources.

Actually paying court costs and spending billable time on these cuts into
their business model.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.