Removal from mailing list

Ken Chase ken at sizone.org
Tue May 10 22:23:31 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 02:48:51PM -0700, Michael J Wise said:

  >> Can I please get taken off all nanog mailing list.
  >
  >Some email programs will spell it out, but ...
  >In the full headers, we see this:

Oh god how did this get here? I am not good with computers.

Shouldnt getting on the list be a lot harder than getting off? Skill
testing questions?

20 years ago, when we were young whippersnappers on nm-list ('new
[forms of] music' list), we had much spam of this type, so we'd manually unsub
them, then sub them to 'blackhole-list', which had a very clear daily email of
instructions of how to get off the list.

That didnt help.

Some still people posting, even daily, to that list, asking to be taken off...
sometimes arguing with eachother, even to the point of flame wars (!) - others
even cooperating on trying to figure it out once and for all. Like a bunch of
drunken sheep bouncing off eachother in a pen with the gate wide open, but no
one ever bounces into the right spot for escape...

Then some kids decided to take it over and discuss and trade commodore-64
juarez on it (and then, seeming to having a shred of clue, they were
harassed by others for help to get off the list) til we noticed and figured we
were abetting piracy, so we shut it down.

Ah those were the days. (nods to old nm-listers, be ye out there.)

/kc
--
Ken Chase - ken at heavycomputing.ca skype:kenchase23 +1 416 897 6284 Toronto Canada
Heavy Computing - Clued bandwidth, colocation and managed linux VPS @151 Front St. W.