Yahoo and IPv6

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Tue May 10 20:31:17 UTC 2011

On May 10, 2011, at 12:37 PM, Igor Gashinsky wrote:

> On Tue, 10 May 2011, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
>
> :: On 9 mei 2011, at 21:40, Tony Hain wrote:
> ::
> :: >> Publicly held corporations are responsible to their shareholders to get
> :: >> eyeballs on their content. *That* is their job, not promoting cool new
> :: >> network tech. When you have millions of users hitting your site every
> :: >> day losing 1/2000 is a large chunk of revenue.
> ::
> :: Nonsense. 0.05% is well below the noise margin for anything that involves humans.
>
> I assure you, it is not. 0.005% might be "in the noise", but 0.05% is
> quite measurable given a large enough audience.
>
> :: >> The fact that the big
> :: >> players are doing world IPv6 day at all should be celebrated, promoted,
> :: >> and we should all be ready to take to heart the lessons learned from
> :: >> it.
> ::
> :: I applaud the first step, but I'm bothered by the fact that no second step is planned.
>
> Just because it's not public, doesn't mean that it hasn't been planned :)
>
> Most of us want to see the data that we get from the first step, before
> making the decision on which second step to take, I'm sure most people
> can understand that.

Argck, I cannot believe that I am going to do this, let alone publicly, but here goes...

Igor is right on both counts here -- 0.05% is definitely noticeable at these sorts of scale, and I'd be shocked if Yahoo didn't have a set of alerts that fire if projections differ from actual traffic by this amount. I'm also a little surprised that you figured that there were no plans past the event -- much of the point of this is for data gathering -- did you figure folk were just going to gather the data and then ignore it?

Ok, that fully used up my "agreeing with Igor" quota for the year...