23,000 IP addresses

Steven Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Tue May 10 17:56:51 UTC 2011

On May 10, 2011, at 9:07 11AM, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

> A Federal Judge has decided to let the "U.S. Copyright Group" subpoena ISPs over 23,000 alleged downloads of some
> Sylvester Stallone movie I have never heard of; subpoenas are expected to go out this week.
>
> I thought that there might be some interest in the list of these addresses :
>
> http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/threatlevel/2011/05/expendibleipaddresses.pdf
>
> If you have IP addresses on this list, expect to receive papers shortly.

Has anyone converted that file to some useful format like ASCII?  You know
-- something greppable?

> Here is more of the backstory :
>
> http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/05/biggest-bittorrent-case/
>
> This is turning into quite a legal racket (get order $ 3000 for sending a threatening letter); I expect to see a lot
> more of this until some sense returns to the legal system.

There's amazing slime behind some similar efforts -- in another case,
of people charged with downloading "Nude Nuns with Big Guns" (yes, you
read that correctly), there are two different that each claim the rights
to the movie and hence the right to sue (alleged) downloaders:
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/05/nude-nuns-brouhaha/