Yahoo and IPv6

Igor Gashinsky igor at gashinsky.net
Tue May 10 16:32:53 UTC 2011

On Tue, 10 May 2011, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

:: On Tue, 10 May 2011 02:17:46 EDT, Igor Gashinsky said:
::
:: > The time for finger-pointing is over, period, all we are all trying to do
:: > now is figure out how to deal with the present (sucky) situation. The
:: > current reality is that for a non-insignificant percentage of users when
:: > you enable dual-stack, they are gong to drop off the face of the planet.
:: > Now, for *you*, 0.026% may be insignificant (and, standalone, that number
:: > is insignificant), but for a global content provider that has ~700M users,
:: > that's 182 *thousand* users that *you*, *through your actions* just took
:: > out.. 182,000 - that is *not* insignificant
::
:: At any given instant, there's a *lot* more than 182,000 users who are cut off
:: due to various *IPv4* misconfigurations and issues.

Yes, but *these* 182,000 users have perfectly working ipv4 connectivity,
and you are asking *me* to break them through *my* actions. Sorry, that's
simply too many to break for me, without a damn good reason to do so.

Doing that on world ipv6 day, when there is a lot of press, and most other
large content players doing the same, *is* a good reason - it may actually
has a shot of accomplishing some good, since it may get those users to
realize that they are broken, and fix their systems, but outside of flag
day, if I enabled AAAA by default for all users, all I'm going to do is
send those "broken" users to my competitors who chose not to enable AAAA
on their sites.

This is why I think automatic, measurement-based whitelisting/blacklisting
to minimize the collateral damage of enabling AAAA is going to be
inevitable (with the trigger set to something around 99.99%), and about
the only way we see wide-scale IPv6 adoption by content players, outside
events like world ipv6 day.

-igor