Yahoo and IPv6

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue May 10 03:15:16 UTC 2011

On May 9, 2011, at 6:46 PM, Cameron Byrne wrote:

> On May 9, 2011 6:11 PM, "Owen DeLong" <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> > > No IPv6 is better than broken* IPv6.
> > >
> > For production, yes. However, in terms of recommendations to prepare for
> > IPv6 day, uh, no... The better recommendation would be to explain the
> > exact issue detected and suggest ways for the user to resolve it.
> >

> I hope you are not insinuating that ipv6 is not production today, many real prod sites are ds today :)  If one properly working website fails over ipv6, they will all fail for that user  (modulo routing table fragmentation). I would really like the world to treat v6 as real production, and not doing so is one of the major hurtles to v6 deployment.

Not at all. I work for one of the largest IPv6 prod. networks today.

I would like the world to treat IPv6 as real production, too. Telling users to turn it off
isn't that.

My point was that from the user's perspective, for production networking purposes,
having working IPv4 and no IPv6 is, today, better than having working IPv4 and
broken IPv6.

For purposes of the user preparing for IPv6 day, having both protocols on and identifying
and resolving the problems with IPv6 is better than turning IPv6 off.

Sorry, I assumed everyone here knew that I was a strong IPv6 advocate. I believe there
was effort on this very list to have my name changed to "Mr. IPv6."

> Agreed. It would be nice to diagnose and fix, there are web sites for that, but that is not yahoo's issue or scope to "the masses" who don't know and should not care about L3 protocols. The only practical solution at scale is to turn it off at the client to restore service (web page loads ... ).  The other practical solution, at scale,  is keep v6 off at the server .... which is, IMHO, worse.

At scale, perhaps, but, if you are choosing to provide a "test IPv6" button, then, I think you should take on some
responsibility for putting something better than "meh, failed... Turn it off". behind that.

Owen