Yahoo and IPv6

Tony Hain alh-ietf at tndh.net
Mon May 9 19:40:50 UTC 2011

Which situation ??? The one where the content can demonstrate how broken the
networks really are? Or the one where the content sites are exposed for
their lack of prior planning?

The entire point of those technologies you are complaining about was to
break the stalemate between content and network, because both sides will
always wait and blame the other. The fact that the content side chose to
wait until the last possible minute to start is where the approach falls
down. Expecting magic to cover for lack of proactive effort 5-10 years ago
is asking a bit much, even for the content mafia.

In any case, the content side can mitigate all of the latency related issues
they complain about in 6to4 by putting in a local 6to4 router and publishing
the corresponding 2002:: prefix based address in DNS for their content. They
choose to hold their breath and turn blue, blaming the network for the lack
of 5-9's access to the eyeballs when they hold at least part of a solution
in their own hands.

We are about the witness the most expensive, complex, blame-fest of a
transition that one could have imagined 10 years ago. This is simply due to
the lack of up-front effort that both sides have demonstrated in getting to
this point. Now that time has expired, all that is left to do is sit back
and watch the fireworks.

Tony