OT: Server Cabinet

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Thu May 5 18:17:34 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Michael Holstein
<michael.holstein at csuohio.edu> wrote:

>> We have a door-way that said server cabinet must fit through, measuring up
>> at 620mm.
>>

> A 24" door? .. dang, that's tiny. Did someone mix up OD and ID when
> considering what a 19" rack meant?
>

>> 1) Have you ever had to fit a cabinet through a doorway that's too small?
>>

> Yes. I will say up front that it's cheaper and easier to just buy one
> that fits (a knockdown, etc.) .. unless you're doing it yourself and
> don't assign value to your time, consider you'll be removing at least 1
> stud, floor-to-ceiling, and any associated wiring that runs through it,
> along with the drywall on both sides. Refitting that, taping, sanding,
> painting, etc. If this is a commercial building and you're obligated to
> use tradesman, you've got at least 2 (carpentry and electrical), plus
> maybe a building permit, etc.
>
>> 2) How did you do it? Cut cabinet, demolish wall ...?
>>

> The cabinet will be easier than the wall, but the wall will need less
> specialized tools (drywall work is easier than welding).
>
>> 3) If you cut the cabinet, any tips?
>>

> Anything that will produce a weldable edge will do (sawzall, etc.) but
> consider that you will then have to grind the paint and fire up a mig
> welder (EMI issues) in your data closet, then grind (and paint) the
> results if you want it to look pretty. All I'll say about that is you'd
> better be darn sure everything is grounded. Also .. wear a respirator.
>
> Cutting/grinding the welds at the opposed corners top/bottom (to produce
> two triangular pieces that can swivel around and in) will be the easiest
> to weld back together (using a new triangular piece of steel as a brace
> if needed).
>
> If you don't know how to weld (and own a welder), or finish drywall
> (also harder than it looks) the costs associated with hiring out either
> of your two choices will easily equal just buying one that'd fit.
>
> Also, as someone else mentioned .. what happens next time it needs to move?

I own stick and MIG welders; I would not recommend this route for a
new welder.  The racks tend to be thin enough material that getting
welds right is tough for new welders.

Also - if you have proper fire suppression in the room, it's likely to
have a fit at the welding fumes.  12 years ago while I was partially
under the raised floor at Frontier Globalcenter in Sunnyvale, a
Liebert repair guy welding up a frame crack in a air unit set off the
stage 1 fire alarm for the second floor room, and it nearly got to the
stage-2-discharge-all-the-FM200 point (I was far out of the room by
that point, but the FGC facilities guy said it was low single digit
seconds remaining in the countdown when he disarmed).

I recommend another room, or the knockdown rack models and sell this
one on eBay...

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com