Suspecious anycast prefixes

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Thu May 5 08:54:17 UTC 2011

On 2011-05-05, at 11:46, bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:

> On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 10:23:12PM -0500, Yaoqing(Joey) Liu wrote:
>> 198.32.64.0/24
>> AS4555:ASName: EP0-BLK-ASNBLOCK-5;OrgName:Almond Oil Process, LLC.
>> AS9584:as-name:GENESIS-AP|descr:Diyixian.com Limited|country:HK
>> AS20144:ASName: L-ROOT;Comment:distributed using Anycast.
>> AS42909: as-name:         COMMUNITYDNS;descr:           Internet
>> Computer Bureau Ltd
>
> 	according to Filip, this is -NOT- supposed to be
> 	anycast.  the only legal origin ASN is 4555.
>
> 	these other ASNs have hijacked the prefix.

The source data above may be old, or simply wrong -- I don't see *any* AS originating that prefix right now, and I can confirm specifically AS20144 is not configured to originate it.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the original question, but the assertion that anybody is hijacking that particular prefix seems false.

Joe