How do you put a TV station on the Mbone?

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed May 4 21:43:04 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Jeff Wheeler" <jsw at inconcepts.biz>

> The potential savings is limited by the over-speed of the mcast stream
> vs real-time, and the density of mcast listener groups. Given that
> access network speeds continue to increase, yet ISPs are really not
> increasing "bandwidth caps," it is reasonable to assume that an ISP
> might like to allow its subscribers to receive a very fast mcast
> stream for a short period of time, instead of all of those subscribers
> receiving many, slow mcast streams.

You know what would make this work *well*?  If IAPs *didn't include mcast
traffic in your cap*.  Since the reason for their caps is, in the final
analysis *to limit THEIR transit costs*, multicast would seem to be a
really good means toward that end, unless my final analysis is contradicted
by something better justified and documented...

This would turn multicast into a Consumer-pull technology.

Cheers,
-- jra