HIJACKED: 148.163.0.0/16 -- WTF? Level3 is now doing IP hijacking??

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Thu Mar 31 10:11:01 UTC 2011

In message <B2506B41-AD1F-4FB0-9D8E-C0A54E44B890 at delong.com>,
Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

>Cleaning up the routing {is not what ARIN does or thinks it should do}, true.
>
>However, this sounds like there are two issues...
>
>1.	Routing -- Would be nice if the advertising provider(s) stopped doing
>	so.  Not something ARIN can really do much about.
>
>2.	Database -- Sounds like the existing resource holder may not still
>	be using the resource or may no longer exist. In either case, it's
>	worth having ARIN investigate the situation and take appropriate
>	database action if that is the case.

Worth it to whom?

I can tell you quite frankly that it sure as shineola isn't worth wasting
even one more additional second of _my_ time to try to beg, plead, cajole,
or browbeat ARIN/Curran into cleaning up the mess that is the IPv4 allocation
data base.  I've been down that road already, and all I have to show for it
is a couple of prominent boot marks on my ass and a couple of new enemies-
for-life... neither of which I really needed.

And also, frankly, I am utterly dumbfounded that you, of all people, should
be the one to suggest that this particular cock-up in the IPv4 allocation
data base is something that should be fixed.  I mean really, WTF?  Didn't
you, and I, and several other people already go through all of this at
least a couple of dozen times already on the ARIN public policy mailing
list?  And wasn't it you, in particular, who was consistantly the most
vocal and avid proponent of the view that ANY effort expended on cleaning
up the IPv4 allocations DB would be an utter waste of time and valuable
manpower, and that ultimately, any efforts along those lines would only
serve to give those procrastinating on the inevitable shift to IPv6 more
time to procrastinate?

Seriously, I was left with the impression that if IPv6 were a person, it
would be you, and that if it were a company, you would be the majority
shareholder.  (Not that there would be anything wrong with that.)

Now all of a sudden you actually CARE about IPv4 allocations??  I say again,
WTF?

Color me flabberghasted.

Anyway, none of this makes any difference.  If somebody (you?) wants to
report either or both of these hijacked IPv4 blocks to ARIN... well...
be my guest.  If your plan was to wait around for me to do it, you are
in for a long wait.  I have more productive uses for my time just now,
like counting the pennies in my change jar and checking Craigslist for
mint Rolls Royces priced under a dollar.

Regards,
rfg