HIJACKED: 148.163.0.0/16 -- WTF? Level3 is now doing IP hijacking??

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Mar 31 05:57:40 UTC 2011

On Mar 30, 2011, at 10:26 PM, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

> It also needs
>
> 1. Someone to complain to law enforcement

True,

> 2. Law enforcement to decide this is something worth following up on
> re prosecution - especially if the crook is not within their
> jurisdiction, it'd be FBI, and they have a minimum threshold for
> damage caused (higher than the few thousand dollars a /16's
> registration fees cost?)

Not necessarily...

If the crook is in another county, same state, it could be simple extradition.

If the crook is across state lines, it could still be handled as an extradition,
but, slightly more complicated.

If the crook is on the other side of an international boundary, that's a whole
new ball of wax and the number of permutations of regulatory combinations
involved prevents any rational enumeration here.

Owen