iBGP usage on a BRAS

Mike mike-nanog at tiedyenetworks.com
Mon Mar 28 21:57:37 UTC 2011

Hello,

	I have a BRAS (Terminating several thousand PPPoE sessions), and today
I use simple static routes pointing to the bras for customer routes. I
want to improve this model and allow for failover and so forth, and I
would like instead for my customer routes to be entered into my igp so
if they move around, the routes can follow them. I was wondering if iBGP
may be sutaible for this task - there will always be a steady stream of
route updates as customer connect and disconnect, mostly in the range of
/32's and /29's. BGP seems way superior to ospf for this because of it's
excellent filtering and other capabilities, but never having done this
on a large scale with the potential for updates as I said, I was hoping
someone could make a clear case for or against it.

	The client routes would not have to be propagated all across my network
so updates don't really have to go far; I could certainly summarize
these routes easily at a core router 1 hop from my bras for example,
with that router(s) knowing the final hop from ibgp. I just want them to
be able to float between bras and I can even tolerate a few seconds of
route instability (hey, if you want stability then don't keep redialing;
nail the pppoe up and leave it up!)

Thank you Oh wizend ones (!),

Mike-