Creating an IPv6 addressing plan for end users

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Mon Mar 28 11:20:23 UTC 2011

On 3/23/11 6:14 AM, Hammer wrote:
> Nathalie,
>       As an end customer (not a carrier) over in ARIN land I purchased a /48
> about a year ago for our future IPv6 needs. We have 4 different Internet
> touchpoints (two per carrier) all rated at about 1Gbps. Recently, both
> carriers told us that the minimum advertisement they would accept PER
> CIRCUIT would be a /48. I was surprised to say the least. Basically a /48
> would not be enough for us. The arguement was that this was to support all
> the summarization efforts and blah blah blah. Even though my space would be
> unique to either carrier. So now I'm contemplating a much larger block.
> Seems wasteful but I have to for the carriers. Have you heard of this
> elsewhere or is this maybe just an ARIN/American thing? Both carriers told
> me that in discussions with their peers that they were all doing this.

there are providers that will accept more specific prefixes from the
customers for internal use. since /48 is the minimum arin allocation
there is observed to be general consensus on not accepting prefixes
longer than /48 into the dfz.

http://www.verizonbusiness.com/Products/networking/internet/ipv6/policy.xml

is one such example of a transit provider that will carry longer
prefixes internally.