ICANN approves .XXX red-light district for the Internet

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat Mar 26 20:55:32 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 1:19 PM, Stefan Fouant
<sfouant at shortestpathfirst.net> wrote:
> So the days of pointless TLDs are amongst us as we've now given would-be
> registrars the right to print money and companies are forced to purchase
> useless domain names in order to protect their trademarks, prevent
> squatting, etc.  When will sanity prevail?

If the creation of .xxx is a preliminary step in making the fact of
your web site only being accessible by a name ending in .xxx an
affirmative defense against a charge of allowing minors to access your
site then

a) it's not pointless, and
b) sanity is prevailing.

IF. But then, it has to start somewhere.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004