The growth of municipal broadband networks

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sat Mar 26 05:56:10 UTC 2011

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011, Leo Bicknell wrote:

> To that end, I think the US would be much better off with fiber to the
> home on a single distribution infrastructure.  That could be owned and
> operated by the municipality (like the water system) or owned and
> operated by a corporation granted an exclusive right to service an area
> (think telephone, at least pre CLEC).

+1.

The layout of the old copper telephone layout is basically sound, you
aggregate thousands of households via X length of cable into a single
place, then you let anyone who wants to, rent space/power in there to put
in their equipment and rent this fiber to the end user
household/enterprise.

Do this with fiber to the home, and also provide rentable long haul fiber
(to the next town etc) and rent out this infrastructure at decent
pricepoint, you have a situation with a very low entry-cost for new
players which is great for competition and in the long run, for the end
customer.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se