The growth of municipal broadband networks

Paul Graydon paul at paulgraydon.co.uk
Fri Mar 25 18:31:21 UTC 2011

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/03/133-us-cities-now-run-their-own-broadband-networks.ars

Ars Technica has a short article up about the growth of municipal
networks, but principally a nice little 'hey check out this website'
(http://www.muninetworks.org/communitymap)

The whole scenario around municipal broadband networks in a hopefully
unbiased nutshell:  Increasing numbers cities and counties seem to be
getting frustrated with what they see as the lack of progress in
broadband speeds from their incumbent provider(s) (even after incumbent
provider(s) have been approached requesting faster speeds) and are
deciding to do it themselves.  Chattanooga, Tennessee has become the
poster child for the idea, able to offer 1Gbps to users and businesses
at competitive prices ($150 pcm.)

I'm curious how the feeling is on NANOG about shifting such provision
towards municipal instead of corporations?  I guess a rough summary of
the competing views I've heard so far are:

+ It's fair and valid competition in the market, which is encouraging
major ISPs to innovate instead of resting on their laurels and trying to
do the bare minimum necessary to maintain their position and profits, an
attitude that is stifling other economic growth?

- Local government is sticking its nose in where it shouldn't, providing
unfair competition and stifling normal market processes.  Municipalities
are operating on the false belief that large bandwidth will
automatically bring silicon valley to them, without understanding the
bigger picture.  That it's time, money and resources better spent on tax
incentives or other means of encouraging businesses.

Paul