Nortel, in bankruptcy, sells IPv4 address block for $7.5 million

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Mar 25 13:45:51 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 11:44 PM, Ernie Rubi <ernesto at cs.fiu.edu> wrote:
> Bankruptcy courts have done this with phone numbers,
>read my paper - the 'phone number as assets' in
>bankruptcy cases are cited in there.

Ernie,

Not exactly. Bankruptcy courts have assigned the telephone contracts
which include service on a particular number to new entities. If
you're aware of a case where that involved a substantive modification
of the contract done without the permission of the other party to the
contract, I'm all ears.

> On a personal note, I'm just a law student and barely
>28 y/o, but I'll say it again - I am astounded that people
>in all kinds of forums have derided me, chastised me
>and given me the silent treatment during this entire
>conversation.  This was an academic question to me,
>but apparently lots of folks think it's life or death or
>semi-religious.

Your paper was a good read and it has a lot of interesting and
relevant information. But as with the rest of us, the conclusions
you've drawn are untested with important parts of how the industry
does business potentially hanging in the balance. You shouldn't take
that as a personal slight; it isn't.

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 7:44 AM, Jamie Bowden <jamie at photon.com> wrote:
> Does anyone really believe MS is this naïve?

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

-Bill

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004