Regional AS model

Michael Hallgren m.hallgren at free.fr
Fri Mar 25 11:04:32 UTC 2011

Le vendredi 25 mars 2011 à 02:09 -0700, Zaid Ali a écrit :
> On Mar 24, 2011, at 3:17 PM, Michael Hallgren wrote:

> >> We're with Patrick on this one.  We operate a single AS across seventy-some-odd locations in dozens of countries, with very little of what an eyeball operator would call "backbone" between them, and we've never seen any potential benefit from splitting them.  I think the management headache alone would be sufficient to make it unattractive to us.
> >>
> >>                                -Bill
> >>

> > Right. I think that a single AS is most often quite fine. I think our
> > problem space is rather about how you organise the routing in your AS.
> > Flat, route-reflection, confederations? How much policing between
> > regions do you feel that you need? In some scenarios, I think
> > confederations may be a pretty sound replacement of the multiple-AS
> > approach. Policing iBGP sessions in a route-reflector topology? Limits?
> > Thoughts?
>
> I always look at confederations as a longer term plan because you have some idea how your backbone is going to shape out. Knowing where you are going makes confederation planning easier. Start with RR's and then see if confeds make sense.

Yes, I agree. Confed's is a choice, in particular if you need elaborate
policies between regions of your network. Police sessions between
sub-ASes, keep iBGP simple...

Say, you start with RR... If or once your network is large, and having
customers connected to it, migrating to conferedrations may be a
challenge. Right? Thoughts? Experiences?

mh