Peering Traffic Volume

Charles N Wyble charles at knownelement.com
Fri Mar 25 03:43:11 UTC 2011

On 3/24/2011 10:34 PM, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
> On Mar 24, 2011, at 7:27 PM, Ravi Ramaswamy wrote:
>
> "Tier 1 ISP" is a nebulous term.

Indeed it is. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peering and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tier_1_network for more information. I'm
guessing you are using Tier 1 to refer to $LARGE_TELCOS (ATT/VZ/L3)
and I'm guessing their sustained daily traffic volume is well over 10tb.
> The top few networks in the world (not all of them are "tier 1 ISPs" - and one is not even a network :)

Facebook and google probably push that much traffic daily. I used to
work for a company that did 100Gbps sustained on a daily  basis.

> are much larger.  The smaller "tier 1s" are probably that size or less.

I agree.