Nortel, in bankruptcy, sells IPv4 address block for $7.5 million

Joe Provo nanog-post at rsuc.gweep.net
Fri Mar 25 01:51:17 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 08:13:46PM -0500, Benson Schliesser wrote:
[snip]
> It's obvious that ARIN, as well as other whois database providers,
> should pay attention to the proceedings.  But under what premise
> might ARIN act as a party to this lawsuit?

The proper question might be that if neither NNI nor MS nor the
middlemen believed ARIN to be a relevant party, why would they have
bothered sending notification to them?  Perhaps it has something to
do with one of the many points their 5% fee being hinged upon "the
Internet Assets are successfully registered in the name of that
buyer, along with the successful registration of related address
routes."

I presume fulfilling the first part if why Addrex/Denuo are trying
to pitch Depository as an something more than just another IRR node
(the second part), and notifying ARIN was just hedging their bets.

But looping ARIN in could be interpreted as inviting them in...

Cheers,

Joe

--
             RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE