Nortel, in bankruptcy, sells IPv4 address block for $7.5 million

Martin Millnert millnert at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 00:25:15 UTC 2011

List,

since there are IRR databases operated by non-RIRs, does one need to
register a prefix in any RIR-DB at all, to see it reachable on the
Internet?

Have there been any presentations/research done on reachability of
RIR-registered vs non-RIR-registered vs completely unregistered
announcements?

( When I say RPKI below I mean the entire secure BGP routing
infrastructure developments. )
I think it is pretty clear what the greatest motivation from RIRs on
RPKI is: (Unregistered) legacy v4-space (ie, reaching a critical mass
so that the network effect starts to apply positively for the
reachability of non-RIR-registered space.

John Currant has written on RPKI = certification of RIR-DB contents on
this list before, but that could in all seriousness be equally
accomplished simply by having a usable and trusted API-connection to
query the DB itself. And that I think hardly anyone would oppose.
(AFAIK ARIN has already deployed this by now; and as soon as their
services has some sort of authentication (DNSSEC'ed DNS with SSL cert
in it, for example? It's ~trivial to program a client for this!) a lot
will have been accomplished already!

What's different and unique with the RPKI effort is that it integrates
this information directly into BGP itself, in an effort to claim
control on what's being announced on the Internet.

The former I welcome warmly, while the latter I think it remains to be
seen how successful it will be.

Regards,
Martin