Nortel, in bankruptcy, sells IPv4 address block for $7.5 million

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Mar 24 16:54:45 UTC 2011

Actually ARIN rules don't say anything about bankruptcy. However, in the event that
the organization ceases to exist and there is no successor organization taking over
the network infrastructure under an 8.2 transfer, yes, the resources would revert to
ARIN.

The only other (legitimate) possibility is a section 8.3 transfer (which would require
approval by ARIN also).

In both an 8.2 and an 8.3 transfer, the recipient organization has to show justified need.
The collection of blocks in question does not sound like it would be permitted under 8.3,
so, perhaps Micr0$0ft is also acquiring part of Nortel's operations that are using those
addresses as well.

Owen

Sent from my iPad