Nortel, in bankruptcy, sells IPv4 address block for $7.5 million

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Mar 24 14:43:54 UTC 2011

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 09:27:58 CDT, Aaron Wendel said:
> That's a good question.  Maybe they can't qualify under Arin rules.  Another

> question will be: how is Arin going to handle it?
>
> Im pretty sure that the RSA says that in the event of bankruptcy ips revert
> to the Arin pool.  I understand that these were legacy addresses but.......

The *important* question is - do they *remain* legacy addresses under the
legacy address rules after the Microsoft acquisition, and thus re-sellable at a
later date?  If so, we may have seen the first case of IP address speculation,
and the start of the bubble.  I don't want to see how this bubble bursts..