Creating an IPv6 addressing plan for end users

Hammer bhmccie at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 13:14:36 UTC 2011

Nathalie,
      As an end customer (not a carrier) over in ARIN land I purchased a /48
about a year ago for our future IPv6 needs. We have 4 different Internet
touchpoints (two per carrier) all rated at about 1Gbps. Recently, both
carriers told us that the minimum advertisement they would accept PER
CIRCUIT would be a /48. I was surprised to say the least. Basically a /48
would not be enough for us. The arguement was that this was to support all
the summarization efforts and blah blah blah. Even though my space would be
unique to either carrier. So now I'm contemplating a much larger block.
Seems wasteful but I have to for the carriers. Have you heard of this
elsewhere or is this maybe just an ARIN/American thing? Both carriers told
me that in discussions with their peers that they were all doing this.

 -Hammer-

"I was a normal American nerd."
-Jack Herer