CSI New York fake IPv6

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Mar 21 02:21:37 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick at ianai.net>

> Is 127.0.0.1 / ::1 the Internet version of "555"? Or will "I hurt
> myself, so now I'm going to sue you" mean we can't even use that?

I'm a touch surprised that *you're* asking that question, Patrick.  I
figured your chapeau was geriatric enough you'd already know.  :-)

No, there are several reserved stretches of both IPv4 and DNS space
for just such reasons.  example.com is the most common and well known,
but see also RFC 3330 and RFC 5737, not necessarily in that order.

Anyone who really *wants* to run nmap on camera has lots of safe networks
to point it at.

Cheers,
-- jra