SP's and v4 block assignments

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Fri Mar 18 23:27:20 UTC 2011

On Fri, 18 Mar 2011, Jeroen van Aart wrote:

> I get charged $6 for a static IP for a home internet connection (not a
> business account). Although in the Netherlands xs4all will give you one for
> free, so it depends.
>
> I am wondering though, is it normal to charge around $5/month for rDNS on
> that IP? I'd say a one time fee for the effort of adding the record to the
> nameserver would be enough. But then maybe the consumer ISP gets charged by
> their ISP for rDNS.

My past two ISPs (Cox and Brighthouse) both charge extra (require you to
upgrade to business class service) for a static IP, and charge extra for
each additional IP if you want more than one.  Cox did customer requested
PTR for no extra charge.  BHN wanted $ for it.  I can't see any reason for
it other than it's something they can charge for, so why shouldn't they?

I've actually been considering going back to residential service and
OpenVPN for my static addressing.

  Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |