SP's and v4 block assignments

TR Shaw tshaw at oitc.com
Fri Mar 18 23:03:59 UTC 2011

On Mar 18, 2011, at 6:49 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2011, at 2:11 PM, Jeroen van Aart wrote:
>
>>> This is not uncommon practice. I agree with you that it's undesirable, but, it's not uncommon
>>> among the access networks.
>>
>> I guess it's ok to expect a small fee when your consumer grade internet connection gets a static IP. Given that many large ISPs force you to get  a business account if you want a static IP, and a higher price.
>>
> I think both practices are relatively despicable, but, widespread enough that perhaps I am in the minority.
> Hopefully this will get better in IPv6.

Owen,

I doubt it will get better. Lots are into nickle and dime'ing for everyone to get an extra buck. Look at wireless, they charge for x Mega/giga bits per month from your hand help device (phone). Oh you want to tether, that will be more? Say what? Bits are bits but somehow tethered bits are different. Oh, its cause we can pretend and charge more for them....

Tom