SP's and v4 block assignments

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Mar 18 22:49:01 UTC 2011

On Mar 18, 2011, at 2:11 PM, Jeroen van Aart wrote:

> Owen DeLong wrote:
>> I'll point out that Comcast charges $5/month for a static IP on their business circuits.
>
> I get charged $6 for a static IP for a home internet connection (not a business account). Although in the Netherlands xs4all will give you one for free, so it depends.

In the US, Comcast won't give you a static on a home connection. You have to subscribe to business
class service to get a static IP.

> I am wondering though, is it normal to charge around $5/month for rDNS on that IP? I'd say a one time fee for the effort of adding the record to the nameserver would be enough. But then maybe the consumer ISP gets charged by their ISP for rDNS.

I've never had anyone charge me for hosting DNS or providing rDNS, but, I haven't needed anyone else
to do that for me in so long that I have no idea what is standard now.

>> This is not uncommon practice. I agree with you that it's undesirable, but, it's not uncommon
>> among the access networks.
>
> I guess it's ok to expect a small fee when your consumer grade internet connection gets a static IP. Given that many large ISPs force you to get  a business account if you want a static IP, and a higher price.

I think both practices are relatively despicable, but, widespread enough that perhaps I am in the minority.
Hopefully this will get better in IPv6.

Owen